This class is a required course in FTI’s Certified Fastener Specialist™ program.
The Lab-Materials Testing is an accredited, independent testing laboratory located in Southern California. It specializes in mechanical, metallurgical, and nondestructive testing as well as specimen machining.
You are welcome to bring your own samples for testing (time permitting).
The curriculum includes:
Explanation and discussions of all applicable commercial and military specifications.
Significance of tests and why they are performed.
Hands-on small-group demonstrations of:
- Chemical analysis – spectrographic, wet methods, atomic absorption and gases
- Physical analysis – tensile, hardness, wedge, proof load, charpy impact, single and double shear
- Metallurgical – sample preparation, microscopic examination for grain flow, grain size, microstructure
- Fatigue – NASM1312-11, NAS 1069
- Stress rupture – NASM1312-10
- Stress durability – NASM1312-14 internally threaded, torque method, NASM1312-15 externally threaded, external load and hydrogen embrittlement
- Non-destructive – liquid penetrant, magnetic particle, dimensional analysis
- Salt spray and humidity
- Plating solution analysis
- Rivet testing – solid rivets and blind rivets
- Torque, locking, breakaway, recess
Your registration fee includes:
- A full day of training in a small-group environment
- Training materials to take back to the job
- Continental breakfast, lunch, refreshments and free parking.
- Certificate of completion and eligibility for FTI’s Certified Fastener Specialist designation.
Who should attend:
- Anyone who wants to know more about how fasteners are tested.
- Anyone who already has started on the Certified Fastener Specialist™ program (advanced technical training).
- Anyone who already has started on FTI’s Product Training program (basic training).